user profile
Sign in
user profile

It's Official, No More Cheap Shipping For Chinese Sellers

by Seller_0IDPUgBsNa35F

We have contracted negotiated international rates for epacket. We’re based in Las Vegas.

Got notification today that all USPS international GEPS contracts will be terminated September 31st.

This is all related to the Universal Postal Union agreement that allows Chinese sellers to ship products to the U.S. for less than it costs us to ship to the same state.

The administration has given the UPU an ultimatum, that they: either allow the USPS to set rates for China mail that arrives in the U.S., or the U.S. will officially leave the UPU on October 17th.

Either way, this means as of October 17, no more cheap Chinese shipping. They will have to pay the same domestic rates as us once their e-packets arrive here.

This is great news for U.S. sellers, especially eBay sellers.

Bad news for Wish com, Chinese e-commerce sellers, Ali-express, etc.

(edited out external url)

Tags: Shipping, USPS
78 replies
78 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_gme6aq8vLWpK4
In reply to: Seller_0IDPUgBsNa35F's post

That’s great news!
For those who want to read a good summary on what’s going on, google
As U.S. Postage Rates Continue To Rise, The USPS Gives The Chinese A ‘Free Ride’
Then also google
This U.S. Postal Policy Powers Chinese E-Commerce While Hurting U.S. Entrepreneurs

Finally more of a level playing field.
Usually these things take years to negotiate or undo, but this one was quickly implemented.
Google
The End of Cheap Shipping From China
The White House wants to put an end to low-cost shipping from overseas, a move widely supported among U.S. e-commerce sellers.

user profile
Seller_jw3HRo32wY2Hk

What you’ve overlooked is the Chinese government might just subsidise the postage rates. Sure USPS might charge China Post more, but not all (or zero) of that increase might get passed onto their customers in China. No user price increase means no difference, and the Chinese government just subsidises the exports.

user profile
Seller_mcvheRbxGzGzI

We’d all like to see the Chinese to pay a fairer rate, but let’s not pretend that this would be the only consequence of the US abandoning the framework that sets rates between us and every other country.

From the Washington Examiner:

Some sellers suffer more from Chinese competitors than they benefit from sales to international customers, but others have a lot to lose if this unfolds in a Brexit-like fashion.

user profile
Seller_f5NinHPryoyCJ

I’d still like to know how British booksellers can send their books to the US for under $10 when it costs me about $30 to send a book to England. I mean, seriously…

user profile
Seller_zDXVpmGz86diF

^ Er…

user profile
Seller_ogR3hTUPYGbob

Meh about time. Here is Canada I can buy a certain product from china and ship it to Alberta for $35. (The product lands in Ontario and travels through Ontario to Alberta).
But for me to ship that exact same product (Not even buy it) here in Canada Ontario to Alberta it costs $44.

So tell me how a Chinese shipper can manufacture and ship a product for less than what it costs me to ship to the province directly beside me? Oh because we subsidize their shipments.

user profile
Seller_fuYXid1yogZVc

Good news but won’t affect Amazon platform too much since too many Chinese sellers have already learned how to use FBA and black-hat tactics to manipulate Amazon platform.

user profile
Seller_oewHJOFDM7eyN

But since Amazon itself is going to be doing lots more of the shipping from PRC to USA then the actual costs for shipping has yet to be determined. Since this action should lessen the subsidy the US taxpayers are giving to PRC currently, Yea.

user profile
Seller_4SZ7RHr3OAoc9

Sept Only has 30 days… There is no September 31.

user profile
Seller_wuog1uJJTSI57

When did we add an extra day to September to make it a 31 day month.

Go to original post